Complete a New Charter Application
Confirm eligibility below and then complete your application online.
- The annual fee is $385.
- Virtual schools: Download and submit this questionnaire with your application.
- Private or nonpublic schools: You must provide proof of current accreditation with your application.
Make sure that your school meets the following criteria to become an affiliate chapter of the National Honor Society:
- Six faculty members who are available to serve as the NHS faculty council including at least one chapter adviser
- A majority of students must be enrolled full time.
- Your school must be a diploma-granting institution.
- All nonpublic/private institutions must provide proof of accreditation from an accrediting agency recognized by NASSP.
What to Expect
Once approved, the national office will email you with your login information. You can then access:
- Chapter bylaws.
- Selection procedures.
- Discipline and dismissal procedures.
- Chapter service projects.
The National Honor Society (NHS) elevates a school’s commitment to the values of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. Earning and maintaining a chapter of NHS is a proud accomplishment for a school and its school leaders—particularly the administration led by the principal and the faculty council led by the adviser—in administering a national recognition program that celebrates holistic assessment of student achievement. The national office provides the following resources to help advisers administer their chapter’s NHS recognition program:
- Adviser Resource Center with step-by-step guidelines, templates for bylaws and communications, handbooks, and comprehensive policy guidance.
- A vast peer network in the Adviser Online Community to share ideas, ask questions, and connect with your fellow NHS advisers.
- National Customer Care Center and Programs and Services Team, available 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m. (ET) at 703-860-0200 and [email protected].
- Access to the NHS Store
- Principal and adviser monthly communications and targeted training opportunities via webinars
If you are interested in starting a chapter at your school, please review and share the following with the appropriate officials. Note that students and parents cannot apply to establish a chapter.